Thursday, June 19, 2008

Argentina

It's time. I have completed nine years of teaching and homeschooling, graduating my youngest, Aaron, in May. He leaves for BSU in August. Brian has been asking for years when I will accompany him on some layovers (it's hard to leave even teenagers unattended!). Now it's time. I originally planned to start seeing the world this fall when Aaron and the others left for college, but a combination of factors (unemployed children drive me crazy, the owners of the empty lot next door started digging for a basement pounding through rock for hours at a time) gave me the travel bug. So now it's time. Time to do what I never had time, energy, or freedom to do.

Brian had this 36 hour layover in Buenos Aires, Argentina coming up and I thought ...why not? Still on a Z-pac regimen as I was getting over a sinus infection, I sat on the couch and Googled what there was to see in B.A. Brian was convinced I wasn't up for the trip but I assured him I wasn't up for sticking around home with all that was going on here. I was listed and had my bag packed before him.

After sitting on the ramp at ATL for about an hour waiting for weather to permit us to take off, we finally did -between lightning strikes! I had never seen lightening from the air before. A unique and sometimes frightening perspective. The size of the buildings in Atlanta were shrinking as we lifted off in the dark of the night. The buildings were dwarfed as the huge lightening bolts lit up the night. It reminds me that no matter how man and technology work to have dominion over this world with skyscrapers and flying machines, we are just a speck in this great big world and only the Lord of Heaven and Earth controls the wind and the storms.

Our visit to Argentina was a very nice break and change of scenery for me. Some things we saw and/or visited included:

Evita's grave in Recoleta Cemetery (notice the cats!),









the painted buildings of La Boca Barrios where the Tango was born,

































the O
belisco on Avenida 9 de Julio (the widest street in the world),





San Telmo Barrios where t
he antique shops can be found,

Puerto Madero and the Fragata Escuela Presidente Sarmiento ( the first training vessel for the Argentine Navy),

Casa Rosada (the Pink House- the Argentine "White" House).

There were things I would have liked to have spent more time with and many more things I would have liked to have seen but ...maybe next time.



No comments: